Tahajjud means to abandon sleep so as to pray Salat. The Tahajjud prayer may be performed as between 2 and 8 rakahs. But, you can performed as two, four, six or eight rakahs as well. The Qur’an refers to it in Surah 17:79 and says:
“And (during part) of the night, abandon sleep and keep vigil to pray Salat, in addition to the regular obligatory prayer. Your Rabb (the Sustainer) may (as a reward) elevate you to the position of High Distinction, Glory and Praise.”
The Prophet (saww) said:
Tahajjud prayer is executed in the last third of a night in the wake of awakening one`s rest. It can’t be offered straight away after Isha, yet just after one`s rest, neither when the time is close to Fajr.
Conditions And Format Of This Namaz:
- Make an unmistakable intention of performing Tahajjud prayer and rearrange to wake up finally a piece of the night by utilizing Alarm Clock.
- Make and maintain complete condition of cleanliness and do mandatory Wudu (thorough cleansing) as performed before other prayers.
- Move to a clean and calm place in the house being far from diversions.
- Remove all kinds of common matters, burdens and stresses from one`s heart to better focus on meeting with Allah SWT and accomplishing His Mercy.
- Offer at least two raka`ts up to 12, depending on one`s willpower.
What should we recite at night prayers?
Our Prophet, used to recite long chapters during qiyam (standing up position in a prayer) at the Tahajjud prayer. Those were the chapters such as Baqarah, Nisa or Al-Imran. And he used to keep long the rukuh (bowing position in a prayer) and prostrations as well. He used to think about the deep meaning of the verses. Following the prayers, he often used to supplicate concisely, remember Allah, and aplenty used to repent and ask for forgiveness.
The month of Ramazan is coming. It offers a decent open door and helpful time to perform Tahajjud prayer, particularly when the season of initiating the fast is favorable. Allah [swt] gives plentiful prize for every one of our demonstrations of love amid this favored month.
Best Online Quran Classes for People of all ages.Special Quran Classes designed for Women and Kids: Take 3 days FREE Trial: AlQuran Classes