The Prophet’s (Peace and Blessings be upon Him) Sleeping place:
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon Him) used to sleep sometimes on a mattress, sometimes on a leather mat, sometimes on a mat made of palm leaves, sometimes on the floor, sometimes on a bed, sometimes on the sand, and sometimes on a black cloak.
His mattress was made of leather stuffed with palm fibers.And he had a coarse woolen cloth that he would fold over twice and sleep on.
He used to sleep on a mattress and covered himself with a blanket. He said to his wives that.
“Jibreel never came to me whilst I was under the blanket of any one of you apart from ‘Aa’ishah.” (Narrated by al-Bukhari, 3775)
His pillow was also leather stuffed with palm fibers.
Dua for Sleeping:
1. When the Prophet (PBUH) went to bed to sleep, He used to say this Dua:
2. He used to put his hands together and blow into them, then recite Qul Huwa Allaahu ahad, Qul a’oodhu bi Rabb il-Falaq and Qul a’oodhu bi Rabb il-Naas [i.e., the last three soorahs of the Qur’an), then he would wipe his hands over as much of his body as he could, starting with his head and face, and the front part of his body. He would do that three times.
3. He used to sleep on his right side, putting his right hand under his right cheek, then he would say:
4. When Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) went to bed he used to say:
5. The Prophet (PBUH) used to say this when he went to bed:
“Allaahumma Rabb al-samawaati wa’l-ard wa Rabb al-‘arsh il-‘azeem, Rabbaanaa wa Rabba kulli shay’in, Faaliq al-habb wa’l-nawa wa munzil al-Tawraati wa’l-Injeeli wa’l-Furqaan, a’oodhu bika min sharri kulli shay’in anta aakhidhun bi naasiyatihi. Allaahumma anta al-awwal fa laysa qablaka shay’un, wa anta al-aakhir fa laysa ba’daka shay’un, wa anta al-zaahir fa laysa fawqaka shay’un wa anta al-baatin fa laysa doonaka shay’un. Iqdi ‘annaa al-dayna wa aghninaa min al-faqri
“O Allah, Lord of the seven heavens and the exalted Throne, our Lord and Lord of all things, slitter of the seed and the date-stone, Reveler of the Tawraat and the Injeel and the Furqaan [Qur’aan], I seek refuge in You from the evil of all things You shall seize by the forelock [have total mastery over]. O Allaah, You are the First so there is nothing before You, and You are the Last so there is nothing after You. You are al-Zaahir [the greatest and highest] so there is nothing above You, and You are al-Baatin [aware of the subtlest secrets] so there is nothing closer than You. Settle our debt for us and spare us from poverty”. (Narrated by Muslim)
Dua for waking up:
When the Prophet (PBUH) woke up from sleep he would say:
Then he would clean his teeth using the miswaak, and recite the last ten aayahs from Soorat Aal ‘Imran.
Prophet’s (Peace be upon Him) sleeping habits:
He used to sleep during the first part of the night and get up to pray during the last part. Sometimes he would stay up late to deal with the interests of the Muslims. His eyes were sleeping but his heart did not. When he slept, they would not wake him up.He would be the one to wake up.When he stopped to rest at night during a journey, he would lie down on his right side, and if he stopped to rest just before dawn he would prop his head up on his forearm, resting it in his palm. This was narrated by al-Tirmidhi.