All of us suffer from sickness, It’s a natural process but many of us never pay attention to remembering Allah SWT during illness. Many times we neglect our Salaah when sick because the only thing revolves in our mind is ‘Fast Recovery’. Whatever the circumstances are! no one can avoid Salaah because Salaah is obligatory and there is only penalty on neglecting it.
It is mentioned in Qur’an:
” Whoever has some excuse due to illness and cannot stand during the obligatory Prayer is allowed to pray sitting. If he cannot pray in a sitting posture, he may pray while on his side by making gestures. In such a case, his gestures forsujud(prostration) should be lower than those for hisruku`(bowing). This principle is based on Allah’s words:(And celebrate Allah’s praises, standing, sitting, and lying on your sides).“
[Surah An-Nisaa 4:103]
Islam is a flexible religion so there are soft corners as well. If someone is too weak to be able to stand for Prayer, then he can offer Prayer while sitting. If he is unable to sit, then he lies on his back and offer Prayer. while lying and even if someone is such unable that lying down but can not bow or prostrate than he can offer Prayer while hinting. This is because obedience to Allah SWT is according to ability.
WAYS OF OFFERING SALAAH WHEN YOU’RE SICK
Reference taken from Bahishti Zewar
- If someone is too weak to be able to stand. then he performs bowings and prostrations while sitting.
- If he is unable to sit. then he lies on his back, supported by a pillow to incline his upper body. and stretches his legs in the direction of the prayer, hinting at bows and prostrations.
- If someone that is unable to sit lied down on his side facing his chest in the direction of the prayer. while hinting, then his prayer is valid also. However, sitting with ones legs stretched is better, because the hints point in the prayer direction.
- If someone is not able to hint by his head. then he delays the prayer and does not hint by his eyes, heart or eyebrows.
- If someone is able to stand, but not to perform bowing and prostration. then he does not have to stand, but sits and hints at the movements. He may stand, but the best is to sit.
- If someone praying seated, while performing complete bowings and prostrations due to illness. became well during the prayer, then he builds upon what has been done and performs the rest standing (i.e. he stands where it is required.)
- If someone started praying optionally while standing but became weak. then it is acceptable for him to lean on a stick or wall, or to sit down. This is because this is an excuse.
- If he started leaning during optional prayer without an excuse then this is disliked, because it is improper behavior.
- If he sat (during an optional prayer – after having stood in the beginning) without an excuse. then it is disliked but valid.
- If someone prays seated in a boat (while sailing) without being sick. then it is valid, but standing is better.
- The one who loses consciousness or sanity for 5 consecutive prayer times or less must make them up. If it was more, then he does not have to pray them.
Never Miss your Prayer:
Oh Muslims! Never Miss Your Salaah because
“ A Busy Life Makes Prayer Harder, But Prayer Makes a Busy Life Easier.“
We never know when our last Prayer would be. So, make the most of it and offer every Salaah as if, It is going to be last Salaah may be.
Regardless of the severity and seriousness of the disease, the daily prayers have to be observed at the prescribed times. If a sick person is unable to perform all the articles of prayer, he may perform only those which he can.
May Allah SWT Protect us from all the diseases and Give a Fast recovery and Health to all sick people around the world. AMEEEEN.